Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Robin's Nest

Michael came to get me last Wednesday to show me that a bird had built a nest on top of the slide of our swing set. He asked what I wanted to do with it and we let Hannah choose if she wanted to see if a bird would lay eggs in it or if she would rather slide. Being the animal lover she is, she chose to see if we would get baby birds. On Monday Michael went to check on it and saw that there was one little blue egg in the nest.
 
I went out on Monday to find the mommy sitting on her nest and confirmed that it is a robin.

  

I went back to check today while the mommy was gone and found that we now have three eggs!
After a little Internet research I have learned that they usually have four eggs and lay only one per day. They do lay unfertilized eggs, so we won't know until time for these to hatch. They lay the eggs, but won't start incubating the eggs until they are done laying so that they will all be born at the same time instead of days apart. The eggs take 12-14 days to hatch and then they live in the nest for 9-16 days. This means we will probably be in Oklahoma when they hatch (if they were fertilized), but we will get to see the baby birds when we get back. Of course Michael will keep us posted on the progress and if they don't hatch, this will save the girls some disappointment. Lets just hope we have better luck with our eggs than my cousin Audrey had with hers...

No comments:

Stitch Fix #6

I have been signed up with Stitch Fix for a while and I very rarely order a Fix because frankly, I am just super picky. I like my clothes t...