Friday, March 25, 2011

Photo Challenge Day 3- Family Member(s)

I have always known that I am indecisive and anyone who knows me can vouch for that! I can do the bigger decisions with minimal issue, but little stuff (like what to wear, where to eat, what picture to choose for this challenge) I go back and forth and it takes me forever. Since I am slightly OCD, I have already been looking ahead and deciding what pictures or memories to share in other posts so I eliminated my husband and children since they will be featured alot! I thought about grandparents, but those posts will make me (and some others who read my blog) cry and I don't want that either. So, I have decided instead of picking just one family member, I would pick my parents! This pic was taken last weekend at my little sister's wedding and is the most current picture I have of all of us together:
I am totally blessed to have such an amazing family. My dad is a strong amazing Christian man that loves his family. He has always made a point to be there for any important event in our lives- dance recitals, football games, church programs, weddings, baby's births, etc. He is very logical and loves to help us work through our issues and come to our own decisions. He is there when you ask for advice, need a sounding board, or just for a hug when you need one. He is totally baby crazy and all kids are drawn to him like a magnet! I feel very lucky that he is an amazing example of what a husband/father should look like and a great role model for my husband and children.
My mom and I are very close. We think alot alike on pretty much everything and I really look up to her and rely on her for lots of parenting advice. She is a great example of a mom that was/is willing to do whatever it takes for her kids. She tried to stay home as much as she could and made sure that the jobs she had allowed for her to be there for us. She was willing to sacrifice having the "best" stuff so that she could be there. I can only hope I am half the mom she is. She has also managed to survive raising four kids and still looks like she is only 35, I am really hoping that I got that gene!

I am thankful for parents that made sure we were raised in church, taught us modesty, values, and respect and love for others. They took us on vacations to lots of fun places and managed to sneak in some educational stops and activities along the way. I have seen lots of things that most people haven't because they cared enough for us to "see history" for ourselves. Most of these trips were not luxurious vacations spent flying first class and staying in 5-star hotels, they were all of us piled in the car, pulling our camping trailer, staying at campsites and cooking our own food. Not only was this a much more fun "bonding experience" for our family (and the families that we traveled with), but it taught us traveling on a budget and that fun is what you make it! They also taught me that honesty is the best policy, just because your friends are doing it doesn't make it right, and that in all things I am accountable to God, not them, for my actions. I don't think I realized how blessed I was to have parents that are still happily married and gave us an idealistic childhood until I got out of high school and realized that what we have isn't the norm, but instead an amazing testimony to what having God the center of your family can look like. Thanks Mom and Dad, I love you!

3 comments:

Janet said...

Made me cry anyway - love u!

Britney Pedraza said...

I love your parents too! They are special people, and I'm so glad to know them and call them family.

icenhower-family said...

AMEN...I second, and agree, with all of the above statements!!! Love y'all

Stitch Fix #6

I have been signed up with Stitch Fix for a while and I very rarely order a Fix because frankly, I am just super picky. I like my clothes t...