Saturday, June 25, 2011

Baby Bird Update

Well, those of you who saw my previous post about our bird eggs will be happy to know that we got baby birds! They hatched while we were in Oklahoma in May and stayed in the nest for about two weeks. They were really kinda ugly when they first hatched, but they got alot cuter!


The mama bird did not like us coming and taking pictures of her babies, she would swoop and yell at us and sometimes dad would join in and they would double team us. We got a few pics, but tried to not upset them any more than necessary. However, the last time I tried to go and take their picture, they flew out of the nest at me and scared me to death! That's when I knew they could at least sort of fly and weren't nest bound anymore. The next day I went down to the basement and I heard one of the babies. I looked and found that one of them had fallen into the window well. There is only a small space between the metal and window and it couldn't get out. I took the cover off and waited to see if it could get out on its own.
I watched its mom circle over and over calling out to it and it would call back and she just couldn't see it. It was so frustrating and heartbreaking to watch her try to find her baby and hearing her and not being able to find it. She even had a worm in her mouth ready to feed it!
 Michael came home about an hour later and I told him, so he crawled down in there and got it out and set it on the grass for mom to find. She did and brought it some worms, but it still wasn't flying off, so Michael put it in the empty nest so that he could mow. The mom went to it and fed it and two days later it was gone too.
The girls loved having the birds and still when they see a bird ask if it is one of our babies. If it is a robin, I say yes, because maybe it is. They were lots of fun to have. Now our next temporary pet project has begun, caterpillars that become butterflies...

No comments:

Stitch Fix #6

I have been signed up with Stitch Fix for a while and I very rarely order a Fix because frankly, I am just super picky. I like my clothes t...