Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me! :)

With Michael training for and running two half marathons, it made me want to do a run myself. Anyone who knows me knows I have never ran/jogged over a mile (and that was just when I was working out with the "moms") and it took me six months to run that far! SO, I found a race online that was an 8K (just short of 5 miles) on my 30th birthday and knew it was meant to be. Well, two weeks after signing up, they changed the route to a 6K and I have never been so excited!! I trained and was finally up to running a 5K and feeling like I could make it that last little bit without stopping. THEN, the day before the race we get an email saying that they changed the route and they were back up to an 8K! I wanted to cry because I was so excited about running it without stopping, but I had already paid and I was determined to finish. The race started at 6AM on June 5th so we had to be there and checked in by 5:15. We rode a bus up the canyon that we had to run down and I just kept thinking surely they are about to stop and it just kept going and going. Luckily it was mostly downhill and Michael and I jogged at my really slow pace and I only had to stop and walk less than half a mile! :) I jogged 4 1/2 miles! I know for some, it is no big deal, but for me it was HUGE! I was really proud of myself. Yolonda and Glenn came to take our pictures as we finished the race. The last little bit was uphill and I wanted to DIE! Here we are running up the last hill:And this is the steep parking lot where the race finished:Crossing the finish line:Official time was 59:16 since we weren't first across the line:Here we are after the race! I was exhausted, but it was incredible! I now hope to do a 10K sometime in the fall, however 10K is as far as I ever plan on attempting. 6.2 miles is more than enough for me, I have no desire to do 13+ miles!

3 comments:

icenhower-family said...

VERY, VERY proud of you!!!

Will and Ajay's Mom said...

Very, very cool! That is just super! Congratulations!! I haven't ran since I was in high school, then I got this crazy idea to run a marathon for my 30th birthday! I am truly crazy!! lol! It is a good release though and is maybe even kind of fun, a lot of hard work though! Congrats!

Carissa Mason said...

WAY TO GO! I did my first 5K a year and half ago then, have been finding little fun 5Ks to participate in here and there. We recently did the Warrior Dash and that was so much fun! I haven't gotten up the nerve to do a marathon either (or even a half) but it's on my bucket list!

Stitch Fix #6

I have been signed up with Stitch Fix for a while and I very rarely order a Fix because frankly, I am just super picky. I like my clothes t...