Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fun for Free!

Ok, so in our home we have a new obsession...geocaching. I heard about this in a Family Fun magazine a while back, but learned more about it from Amy Lovelace last time I was back in OK. She and her family have been doing it for a while. Now what is geocaching you ask? Well, basically there are people all over the world that hide little boxes (and some very creative containers) with paper of some sort in them and you can go online and get the coordinates and go and find them. Once you find it, you sign the paper and re-hide it where you found and log in on your computer that you did sucessfully find it. I didn't think it sounded like much fun, but then I pulled up our address and there are over 100 within 10 miles of where we live and three within 400 feet of our townhouse! We of course had to try to find the ones close to us and once we did, we were hooked! The best part about this new hobby, as long as you have GPS capability on your phone or a GPS system (we have a Garmin), it cost you $0. In fact, since there are so many close to us, we have walked to most of our finds! Now since this is new to us, we had no idea how BIG this really is! You can go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and pull up your address and look at how many you walk past or drive by every single day (you will have to create a log-in, but it only takes a second, no hard questions or personal info). I pulled up our old address in UT and looked to see if maybe we could go and find a few with Yo and Glenn at Thanksgiving, and it is even bigger there than it is here! I couldn't believe it. There are over 200 at Temple Square alone (not that we will go that far north since there are 10 within two blocks of their house)! This has been great family fun for us and hopefully it will be for some of you too! These pictures were taken while we were out yesterday at one of the more crazy finds! I was pretty impressed with the picture I snapped of Michael and I since I didn't cut off either of our heads! We also took one of Hannah holding the cache to prove she was there with us, even if she wasn't awake! The third is Michael putting it back where we found it!Now, on to Hannah news (since lets face it, that is what most of you check this blog for)! She (early this week) finally mastered crawling on all fours, so she is a "traditional crawler" now. She has gotten better at pulling up and now is standing most of the time when I go to get her out of her crib. She has also figured out a few methods of getting down from her standing position, some very controlled, others not-so-much. At least she seems to have less bumps and bruises than she did last week! She also is able to walk along all of the furniture holding on. It seems like it took her forever to roll over and then forever to crawl and I was so worried that she was always going to be behind for her age, but once she got it, she jumped through the next stages in days and is now caught up and a little ahead of where she should be, and I am so thankful!

No comments:

Stitch Fix #6

I have been signed up with Stitch Fix for a while and I very rarely order a Fix because frankly, I am just super picky. I like my clothes t...