Saturday, January 5, 2008

Birth Story

Ok, so now that we are a little more settled, I can type the events. I knew the most important thing was to get the pics out there as quick as possible, so now here is the rest of the info.

Went in for my non-stress test at 3 and she did fabulous and then went upstairs for my weekly appointment. Everything was looking good, except my bloodpressure. It was 151/102 and so they took it again a little later and it was still around that same point and so he decided rather than put me on bedrest and monitor my blood pressure, that we would just have her and not put either of our health at risk. Since she was at 37 weeks, she was full term, so there was no concern about her development. I had him guess her weight and he thought between 8-81/2 pounds.

So after a little (ok, a lot) of freaking out on our part, we headed downstairs to check in to labor and delivery. They put us in a room and hooked me up to an IV with pitocin, hooked me up to the heartbeat monitor to monitor Hannah's heartbeat and a monitor to monitor my contractions. We didn't have a bag or anything with us, so once Cindi and Yolonda showed up, he left to run home and feed the dog and finish packing my bag.

They came in as I was typing the post to you (which is why when emailing out the update, I didn't remember to put the link) and were ready to break my water. Dr. Kaelberer came in and saw me typing and couldn't believe it. I showed him her little website and he was really impressed! So at about 8:30, they broke my water and I was still just at 3 cm dialated. They kept slowly raising my pitocin level and it was making my contractions harder and closer together and we were just plugging along. Glenn and Elizabeth came to hang out and we were just sitting around chit-chatting. They both had to go to work the next morning so they couldn't stay all night.

Later when they came to check me again, I was still at a 3. Since I knew that if I didn't dialate, I would have to have a c-section, I decided around 3 AM to get the epidural. By 6:45 I was fully dialated and we started pushing. They had told me earlier on that she was turned the wrong way (face up) and so we had tried some things to get her to roll over. They checked again and she had made some progress, but wasn't all the way over yet, so during the next few pushes, they worked to get her rotated. They finally got her turned and ready and I pushed with each contraction. Cindi and Yolonda took turns holding a leg while I pushed and Michael helped hold my head to my chest and we just waited until they said it was time. They decided it was going to take a little more to get her out, so they called in another doctor, Dr. Larkin, that pushed down on the top of my stomach and Dr. Kaelberer used the suction to pull her out and she was delivered at 8:47.

Michael was having a hard time, like we expected, and so he was required to sit by my head during the whole process and still had to have some juice brought to him since he didn't have any color and couldn't stand up. He doesn't do well with seeing me in pain and since he was worried about both of us being ok, he just wasn't doing well physically. Once she came out, the nurse asked "who was going to cut the cord, dad" and even my doctor said "no, we will lose him if he does" so Yolonda got to cut the cord. It was great having extra help and support from Yolonda and Cindi, we couldn't have done it without them. Here is a pic of each of them with Hannah. Kim

No comments:

Stitch Fix #6

I have been signed up with Stitch Fix for a while and I very rarely order a Fix because frankly, I am just super picky. I like my clothes t...